Anything Gwyneth can do: Warm up the vocal chords and cue up the C&W yeehaw for actress's new film Country Strong - Daily Mail

By Georgina Littlejohn

Last updated at 2:59 PM on 21st July 2011

She made the transition from Oscar-winning actress to country and western singer effortlessly and tunefully.

But could I show Gwyneth Paltrow that I too could swap the day job for a life of checked shirts, Daisy Dukes, cowboy boots and melancholy love songs?

Highly unlikely, but given the opportunity to test my vocal chords and record a country and western song while being treated like a celebrity was too good an opportunity to miss.

Oscar-winner to country star: But could I give Gwyneth Paltrow - seen here in Country Strong - a run for her money?

Oscar-winner to country star: But could I give Gwyneth Paltrow - seen here in Country Strong - a run for her money?

To celebrate the release of Miss Paltrow's movie Country Strong on DVD, I was invited into a recording studio to lay down a C&W track of my own, courtesy of the lovely folk over at Songmaker.

The company, which runs 70 studios across the UK, gives people a chance to see how a record is made, lay down their own track and take away their own professionally mixed CD.

It is also an ideal venue for hen or stag dos, birthday parties or just if you want to go along on your own and act like a pop star for a few hours.

I hope you've got auto-tune! My nerves soon went as I got behind the mike, despite my lack of confidence about my vocals

I hope you've got auto-tune! My nerves soon went as I got behind the mike, despite my lack of confidence about my vocals

I hope you've got auto-tune! My nerves soon went as I got behind the mike, despite my lack of confidence about my vocals

Not being the greatest lyricist (or singer, for that matter), in the world, I had to rely on others before me, so chose a song that I knew and loved, memorised the lyrics and got in front of the microphone.

Vocals warmed by the complimentary glass of champagne - well, they did offer the full VIP treatment - I launched into a rather dreadful version of Carrie Underwood's Last Name.

Miracle man: Steve the engineer gets mixing - and hopefully auto-tuning

Miracle man: Steve the engineer gets mixing - and hopefully auto-tuning

Bolstered by the fact that Steve, the fantastic engineer would be able to auto-tune the whole thing to perfection, I carried on regardless.

Country Strong is out on Blu-ray and DVD now

Country Strong is out on Blu-ray and DVD now

We put down each chorus and verse individually, picking out the weakest from the strongest and chopping it together to resemble some sort of song.

I got quite used to the sound of my voice after an hour in the studio and Steve did manage to work wonders, although I'm sure I'd be quick to get four 'nos' from any self-respecting X Factor judge.

I walked away with a CD of my time in the studio and a sense of satisfaction that I had given it my best shot and would probably never do anything like that again.

Country Strong focuses on fallen-from-grace country and western star Kelly Canter, played by Paltrow.

She leave rehab and gets involved with rising singer-songwriter Beau Hutton and together they embark on a resurrection tour arranged by her husband and manager James Canter, played by Tim McGraw.

Gwyneth, who also put her vocal talents to use in Glee, received mix reviews for her performance but the general consensus was that she 'handles her songs with aplomb'.

Superstar: Gwyneth as Kelly singing to adoring fans on her comeback tour

Superstar: Gwyneth as Kelly singing to adoring fans on her comeback tour

Whatever her critics say, a sense of admiration must be felt for Miss Paltrow who can now add 'singer' to her CV.

As for my end result after a day in the studio? Well, let's put it this way - not only will it never see the light of day but Dolly, Carrie, Tammy and Taylor have absolutely nothing to worry about.

  • Country Strong is out on Blu-ray and DVD now
  • For more information about Songmaker, click here

Explore more:

Places:United Kingdom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashton Kutcher Drops Demi Moore on Twitter More Confirmation Its Over

DC Real Housewife Michaele Salahi Rents in Beverly Hills - Eagle-Tribune